Côte Brasserie’s Chocolate Fondant
125g butter (plus extra for greasing the fondant moulds)
25g plain flour (plus extra for dusting the moulds)
200g good-quality dark chocolate (such as Green and Blacks Cook’s Chocolate, broken into pieces)
2 egg yolks
100g caster sugar
1. Preheat the oven to 180˚C or gas mark 4.
2. Brush four individual metal pudding moulds (each with a capacity of 175ml) with butter. Evenly coat the buttered moulds with flour, tapping off any excess, before transferring the prepared moulds to a baking sheet.
3. Put the broken chocolate and butter in a heat-proof bowl, set over a pan of gently simmering water, making sure the bowl does not touch the surface of the water. Once melted, stir the mixture until smooth. Take the bowl off the heat and allow to cool slightly.
4. Place the eggs, yolks and sugar in a large mixing bowl. Using an electric whisk, beat on high for a few minutes or until the mix is very thick, pale and fluffy. Fold the cooled chocolate mixture into the eggs and sugar. Sift in the flour and gently fold together.
5. Divide the mixture equally between the prepared pudding moulds. Place in the oven for 12 minutes. Remove from the oven and set aside for three minutes. Using a tea towel, turn out onto plates and carefully remove the moulds. Serve immediately with whipped cream.
Recipe supplied by Côte Brasserie, 50-51 St Martin's Lane, Tel 020 7379 9747 MAP D5