Before the construction of Aldwych, Catherine Street connected Covent Garden and the Strand and was very much busier with traffic than it is today. By day market traders would ferry their produce to and from chefs and wholesalers, by evening carriages would transport theatregoers to see the stars of the stage and by night the bawd, the wench and the hussy would ply for the trade of the degenerate, the degraded and the drunkard. While these strumpets carried on their latch-key bastard children would menace the neighbourhood with their misbehaviour and thievery.
As it stands today Catherine Street is an amalgam of Brydges Street which was laid out in 1630, White Hart Inn, the grounds of Exeter House and an earlier Katherine Street. For 100 years the street has been in its present form and many of the institutions and businesses have a strange and marvellous tale to tell. The most famous building is probably the Theatre Royal which is the longest continually-used theatre in London, however the present (fourth) building only dates back to the reign of the Prince Regent. The first and third having been destroyed by fire; the second, a building designed by Christpher Wren, was demolished in 1791.